Once you have booked your Headshots session with Bradkay Photographix, you may be wondering how to prepare for your session. Here are a few key pointers for how to get ready for your headshot session.
The first important consideration when preparing for your headshot is your clothing (see our blog Help, what do I wear for more information):
- When choosing an outfit choose colours that work with your skin, hair and eye colour. If you are unsure, bring in some options.
- Try on your options before the shoot and make sure you feel comfortable and happy in them.
- Avoid wearing distracting jewellery or anything that will take the focus away from your face.
You will need to plan out your hair and makeup (see our blog Professional Makeup for your Head Shot for more information):
- Don’t over do the makeup. For men a natural no-makeup look is best with some concealer to hide any blemishes.
- For women, your look should be clean and natural and you may even consider hiring a professional makeup artist for your photo shoot. A professional makeup artist will be able to ensure that you look your best for your headshots.
- A week before your headshots, book in to get yourself a good trim to neaten up your hair. Do this with your regular stylist to eliminate the chance of an unexpected surprise before your shoot.
- Choose a hairstyle that you know looks good on you and that is age appropriate.
Before you get your headshots done, examine your face, eyebrows and teeth to determine if any minor adjustments may need to take place:
- Take care of any hair removal prior to the photo shoot, but leave 2 – 3 days between when waxing your eyebrows to allow for any irritation to disappear.
- Men should tidy up any facial hair so it is neat.
- Make sure your teeth are nice and clean if you are going to show them in your headshot.
To avoid rushing around the morning of your photo shoot, prepare everything the night before. It is always handy to you know where you are going before the day of your photo shoot !
Eat a light meal before you leave. If you skip a meal before the shoot, chances are you will loose focus, run out of energy and become irritable.
Your final image will be a reflection of how you are feeling in your session. Be prepared to relax and have fun with your shoot. Your headshot will be a reflection of your personality and something that you will be proud of using in the right circumstance.